This Website is owned and operated by Oticon Limited.
This Policy explains how we collect and use your information. In this Policy, “we”, “us” and “our” means Oticon Limited.
If you have any questions about this Policy, or would like to exercise your rights, you can use our Website contact form. (link to ‘contact us’ form)
Who we are and how to contact us
Our legal name is Oticon Limited, and our main office is in Hamilton,Scotland. In turn, we are part of the William Demant Holding Group, based in Smørum, Denmark. You can learn more about William Demant at www.demant.com.
You can contact us about your data using the specific links throughout this page or via the following general contacts:
|In the UK||In Europe|
Cadzow Industrial Estate
Low Waters Road
|Global Privacy Office
William Demant Holding A/S
In the UK, Oticon Limited is split into William Demant divisions as below:
- Oticon Medical
- Phonic Ear
When do we collect information about you?
Some of the information we collect about you can be used to identify you. This type of information is defined as “Personal Data” under the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and, from 25 May 2018, the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679
We collect your Personal data:
- when you make enquiries, purchase products from us through our website, register for an account, or request Information or sign up to receive marketing
- when you visit our Website and cookies are placed on your computer
- when you provide us with information in any other way, including by interacting with us via social media such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google.
Oticon Limited maintains and uses information about you only when:
- we need to fulfil our contractwith you — for example, to deliver the products you’ve ordered
- …or it’s our legal dutyto do so
- …or it’s in our legitimate business interest
- …or when you consentto it
For further clarification, “legitimate interests” means for example, we are interested in making sure our marketing is relevant to you, so we may look at your information to make educated guesses about your interests so that we can send you content that is tailored to you.
We may process your information to protect you against fraud on our website, and to ensure our websites and systems are secure.
Here is a list of the ways that we may keep or use your personal data, the reason for it, and the legitimate interest behind it.
|Our reasons||What we use your personal information for:||Our legitimate interests|
|Fulfilling contracts||· Delivering products or services, including product updates or upgrades
· Facilitating, completing, or confirming a commercial transaction previously agreed to
· Notifying you about your use, subscription, account, or similar ongoing relationship with Oticon Limited and other William Demant divisions
· Notifying you about the warranty for a product you or your organisation purchased
· Collecting money that is owed to us
· Responding to complaints and seeking to resolve them
· Exercising our rights set out in agreements or contracts
|Our legal duty||· Taxes or reporting taxation information
· Providing information about recalls, safety or security for a product you purchased or are using
· Running our business in a lawful way
|Our legitimate interests||· Where we have an existing relationship with you or your organisation, sharing news, offers, and ideas with you (e.g., surveys, press releases, offers, newsletters, blogs, meeting requests, introductions, product launches, marketing and social media)
· Where we have an existing relationship with you or your organisation, personalising communication with you, and tailoring communication to what we think you may be interested in
· Managing our relationship with you or your organisation
· Responding to your requests for information or help (e.g., quote, sales information or sales confirmation)
· Confirming that you got the information or help you needed
|· Growing our business
· Telling you about things that are new and interesting to you
· Customer satisfaction
· Developing better products and services
· Defining types of customers for new products or services
· Keeping our records up to date
· Seeking your consent when we need it to contact you
· Being compliant to fulfil our legal and contractual duties
· Providing good customer service
|Your consent||· Sharing news, offers, and ideas (e.g., surveys, press releases, offers, newsletter, blog, whitepapers, videos, meeting requests, introductions, product launches)
· Personalising communication with you, and tailoring communication to what we think you may be interested in
About the kinds of data we keep and use
We use several different kinds of personal information:
|Type of personal information||Description|
|Contact||How to contact you via email, telephone, or physical address|
|Professional||This includes details about where you work, and your professional role in that organisation|
|Contractual or Transactional||Details about the products or services your organisation may have purchased from us, including ship-to information, purchase history, healthcare provider order reference, serial numbers, and service information|
|Communications||The content of business letters, emails, and conversations you’ve had with Oticon Limited. Please note that calls to Customer Services are recorded for quality and training purposes.|
|Social Media||How active you seem to be on social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook|
|Open Data and Public Records||Details about you that are in public records or openly available on the internet (e.g., a hospital website)|
|Usage Data||Other data about how you seem to use our products and services|
|Documentary Data||Details about you or your organisation that are stored in documents in different formats, or copies of them. This could include things like purchase orders and shipping documentation.|
|Consents||Any permissions, consents, or preferences that you give us.|
Where does this data come from?
Most of the time, any data we might have has been provided by you:
- When you purchase one of our products or services
- When you talk to us on the phone or in person
- When you use our websites, including the profile you create to identify yourself when asking for information, and data about how you use the website
- In emails and letters
- In customer surveys
- If you take part in our competitions or promotions
- Educational events
In some cases, we may receive information from any of the following sources:
- Organisations that introduce you to us (e.g., a trade association)
- Credit reference agencies (applies to your organisation’s credit rating only)
- Resellers of Oticon Limited products
- Your organisation’s email server (e.g., a change of address notice in an auto response)
- Review websites
- Social networks
- Public information sources such as hospital websites
Who gets to see or use your data?
We don’t allow any person or company outside the William Demant Group divisions to use your data except as required to fulfil our obligations to you, or as required by law, or to store and/or process it in order to run our business.
Here are the categories of companies that may see all or part of your data:
- Companies we rely on to fulfil our contractual obligation to you or your organisation (e.g., resellers, shipping companies)
- Services that help us manage our website or our relationship with you
- Government revenue and customs agencies, regulators, and other authorities
- Credit agencies
- William Demant Group division – please see demant.com
In the future, it’s possible that Oticon Limited may choose to sell, transfer, or merge parts of our business, or our assets. Or we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. During any such process, we may share your data with other parties. We’ll only do this if they agree to keep your data safe and private. If a change to our organisation happens, then other parties may use your data in the same way as set out in this notice.
Where we store your data
Our servers are managed by our parent company, William Demant, and are located within the EEA. Oticon Limited also keeps some types of data (particularly transactional and documentary data) in physical files.
For other types of data, Oticon Limited may use external companies in order to maintain the technical operation of the website, to organize important records, or to support processes needed for sales, marketing, and other internal functions. The data processors act solely according to instructions from Oticon Limited.
The data processors Oticon Limited selects have established technical and organisational safety measures to help minimize the likelihood of your information being accidentally or illegally destroyed, lost or deteriorated, coming to the knowledge of unauthorized persons, or being misused or processed in violation of laws governing processing of personal data. Nevertheless, because the internet is not a 100% secure environment, Oticon Limited cannot ensure or warrant the security of information you transmit to Oticon Limited.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We hold your personal information for as long as we need to for legitimate legal or business reasons, including to comply with any regulatory obligations. (Depending on the record types and our relationship with you, retention periods range from 3 months to 10 years, or for the period during which you request our services.)
We will delete your data at your request as long as we no longer need it for one of these reasons:
- To respond to any questions or complaints
- To show that we treated you fairly
- To maintain records according to rules that apply to us
- For marketing, research, or statistical purposes
- For legal, regulatory or technical reasons
What if you choose not to give any personal information?
We may need to collect personal information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you.
If you choose not to give us this personal information, it may delay or prevent us from meeting our obligations. It may also mean that we cannot perform services or deliver product you have ordered from us or from our resellers.
Any information that is optional would be made clear at the point of collection.
Your data & your rights
Wherever possible, Oticon Limited wants you to decide what data we have and how we use it.
Oticon Limited aims to give you control over your data wherever possible. Among your options (although with certain restrictions), you may:
- Give or withdraw your consentto use your data
- Get a copy of the datayou provided to us in a portable data format
- Ask us to correctyour data
- Ask us to stop processingyour data
- Ask us to eraseyour data
Here’s how your options may apply, depending on the reason for the processing:
|Our basis for processing your data||Your options|
|Consent||Give (or withdraw) consent | Right to erasure | Right to portability | Right to correction|
|Contract||Right to erasure | Right to portability | Right to correction|
|Legal obligation||Right to correction|
|Legitimate Interests||Object to processing | Right to erasure | Right to portability | Right to correction|
For example, although you may choose not to receive marketing information from Oticon Limited, you may still receive invoices, shipping, sales and service notifications, and other important information such as changes to your existing products and services because we’re contractually or legally obligated to deliver these to you.
We may ask you to confirm or update your choices if you purchase any new products or services, or ask for some new information from us. We will also ask you to do this if there are changes to regulations, or to the structure of our business.
If you change your mind you can update your choices at any time by contacting us.
How to change your contact preferences
(including withdrawing consent)
With certain limitations (e.g., invoicing), you can decide what kinds of communication you want to receive from Oticon Limited. There are two ways to set your preferences:
- Send an email telling the Oticon Limited what changes you would like to make
- Select specific ‘Interest Areas’ or ‘Unsubscribe’ to marketing materials on our enewsletters
Please remember that if you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain offers, products, or services to you (but you can always give your consent again at any time).
Access to your Personal Information, deletion, restriction, rectification and transfer
You have the right to request details (and a copy of) the Personal Data we hold about you and to ask us to delete, restrict, correct or transfer your Personal Information. Our response will depend on which legal grounds we are using to process the data in question, and the circumstances of the particular processing. You can find out more about your rights by viewing guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office here.
You can exercise your rights by sending us a written request to our contact form here, by emailing us at email@example.com or by using any of the other methods set out in our “contact us” section below.
How to complain to the ICO
If you are unhappy with us, our service, or with the way that we treat your Personal Data please contact us and we will work with you to resolve your issue.
You also have the right to contact the UK data protection authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can contact the ICO through its website: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/. You can also call the ICO helpline from the UK on 0303 123 1113, or +44 1625 545 745 if calling from outside of the UK.
If you have any questions on this Policy, or would like to exercise your rights, you can contact us in the following ways:
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone us at 01698 283363
- use our Website contact form: http://www.oticon.co.uk/contact-us/, or
- write to us at:
Cadzow Industrial Estate
Low Waters Road